Back to the main page for the [Ideas Working Group], to see other areas of discussion.
This is the WORK PAGE for HUMAN RIGHTS
DRAFT (NOT APPROVED BY GA)
The base of this document came from the UN Declaration of Rights and then we added other ideas from the email threads and other docs, about half way down the list.
Note the links to the "specific mechanics and reforms" discussion/workpages on various topics. If there is a topic that doesn't have a link to a workpage and you're interested in adding one, go for it!
Please add/incorporate your ideas...
WE SUPPORT THE FOLLOWING:
- Equality & Dignity
- All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood and sisterhood.
- All persons are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.
- Human Rights:
- To Speech Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media.
- To Assembly Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
- To Privacy. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with their privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon their honor and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.
- To Fair and Public Hearing. Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of their rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against them.
- To be Presumed Innocent til Proven Guilty. Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which they have had all the guarantees necessary for their defense.
- To Work. Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favorable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment
- To Equal Pay for Equal Work. Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.
- To Dignified Work. Everyone who works has the right to just and favorable wages ensuring for them self and their family an existence worthy of human dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of social protection.
- To bear arms. [Does anyone have language for reasonable limitations?]
- To Collective Bargaining. Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of their interests. - To Reasonable Rest, Recreation and Leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.
- To a Reasonable Standard of Living, for the health and well-being of them self and of their family, including basic and healthy food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services
- To [Minimal Income] Secuirty, in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond their control
- To Equivalent Education. Everyone has the right to education. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Education shall be free, in the elementary and fundamental stages, as well as trade education.
- To Cultural Life. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
- To Equal Access to Government Officials
- To Equal Access to Basic Internet Connectivity (see Network Nuetrality discussion)
- To Equal Access to Loans
- Individual Protections:
- From Slavery. No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.
- From Torture. No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment.
- From Arbitrary Arrest: No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.
- For Whistleblowers: We support the adequate protection of whistleblowers.
- Duties of the Individual
- Each individual has the duty to contribute their fair share to the community to the best of their ability
- Prosection of Crimes Against the People
- We require the investigation into the possibility of war crimes committed by current or past government officials
- We require the investigation into [undue economic gains...look up words from SPP 3 tiered docs]
- We require accountability of [need words... check SPP three tiered doc]
- We require transparency into public payments in an accessible/downloadable format, such as searchable online spreadsheets
- We require transparency in inter-bank transactions
- Penalties for Corruption
- We require strong penalties for corruption
- end the profit motive for keeping people in private prisons
- end sweatshops and any working conditions unacceptably difficult or dangerous.
- end the exploitative practice of child labor
- end the military use of children as child soldiers.
- prompt and expeditious manufacturing and building of a sustainable energy infrastructure initiated by private and government funding and job creation
- dramatic increase in public investment to facilitate non-combustion engine transportation and virtual worker incentives.
- bring our troops home
- end imperialism
- demand peaceful non-resistance and civil disobedience practiced by Martin Luther King Jr. & Mohandas Gandhi.
- We support the democratic process as a means of decision making and for all government institutions to be accountable to the people.
- We support the practice of using paper ballots throughout all elections. [w/receipts?]
- We support investment in online polling to create a "public knowledge-base" of what citizens want for our future
- Corporate Personhood
- We firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.