Occupy Boston General Assembly - June 19, 2012
Sailors and Soldiers Hill, Boston Common
Facilitator: Justin Almeida
Notetakers: Noah McKenna, Gregory Murphy, Carolyn Magid.and Joe Cu *
Working Group Anouncements
1) Occupy Monsanto - 60 to 70 people at anti- Bio-tech, anti GMO Rally, on 6/18, including OB, Occupy Monsant (from DC), NOFA, Leah Collective, Ciclovida
2) Facilitation - a Facilitation skill share is on for the July 9 Community Gathering, 6:30 to 10:00
3) S17 - WG formed at Sunday's (6/17) SAA to develop planning for S17
4) S17 $ - 1st meeting scheduled for July 7, @ 2:00 PM, email Tessa F if you want to join, she will create a mailing list.
1) Ellen F. - heading to Montreal, this coming weekend
2) Ariel N. - , NYC judge sentenced her friend Mark, of OWS, to 45 days at Rikers Island for D17 action winter occupation attempt at Trinity Church in NYC. He could have appealed but was facing a one year process (at least) and the possible outcome of jail time. Discussion ensued: Trinity Curch is the largest landowner in NYC and really exerted pressure for guilty finding.
1) Joe C. - move all GAs to State House steps
2) Angela G. - add two pre-planning meetings to S17 WG schedule to deal with several issues related to the S17 proposal
3) Terra F. - reconsider S17 funding proposal
4) Kendra M. - asking for $600 to $800 for Bastille Day Art Festival funding
5) Jen M. - proposes S17 matching grants totaling $7000 to be given to local community organizations
6) John M. - asks for $60 week for OB day camp
• #4 & #6 remain in Proposal Bucket, thereby passed and accepted by General Assembly
• #3 pulled for Saturday, 6/23 consideration
• #5 pulled (GM thinks)
GA decides to process #2, before #1
GA Proposal Process for #2:
Angela G. - proposes to add two pre-planning meetings to S17 WG schedule to deal with issues of accountability, transparency, POC inclusion and political analysis. She "does not like how the proposal went down," and urges the community to accept these two meetings to do more comprehensive planning than we usually do, and to get the greater OB community "buy-in." Her proposal is not about the $ aspect.
Noah - seems that the already scheduled S17 $ WG meetings would be a reat place to have open dialogue about intentionality. The S17 affinity group outreach was above and beyond usual proposal process including community forum and other listemails, and FaceBook posting. The $7K can be spent in a # of ways and the intention is to bring in other activist communities, beyond OB. It's important to make sure this event (S17 and planning) is accessible to a wider variety of populations.
Angela - to Noah, your response to me reflects that you did not hear me. I like your thoughts, but one of my points is about establishing criteria and mechanisms of accountability, in regards to the $. Could this happen at the S17 $ WG meetings? She understands that the working group grew out of an affinity group.
Carolyn - at the SAA, the night ater the S17 proposal passed, people formed an S17 WG. I am hoping both S17 WGs can create a common agenda.
Angela - asks for 2 pre-planning meetings before any WG or AG starts planning the action or how to spend the $. Let's really practice horizontal democracy and let's be accountable and fully transparent and include a deep political analysis. Such a mixture has been missing from much of what OB has done and how OB has approached actions, in the past.
Jen - wants to see the $ spent in Boston, not on travel to NYC.
Ellen - seems like pre planning meetings is natural for GA to do before it goes to working group for planning
Greg - reminds Angela that she initially also mentioned the importance of reching out to other communities, especially people of colorout
Noah - is this (A's proposal) about planning or about the $?
Angela - her proposal is about creating a step in maturity, about creating values
Ariel - help me understand. Is your intention to take a step back and have this criteria be applied to all proposals, retroactively?
Angela - (notetaker is unsure of her reply)
Ariel - there are less people here, tonight, than there were Saturday (when S17 proposal passed). Do you think that we can (incomplete notes)?
Angela - again, it's about transparency and accountability, the $ is secondary, a political framework is the priority
Randy - asked Angela for an example of a proposal when we (OB) did not think this stuff through, as Angela is asking for, and there was a consequence.
Angela - (notetaker did not write her answer down and forgets what how A replied to R's question.
At this point, Facilitator asks small groups to form, followed by
Group report back
Group 1 -