List of Goals
This is a list of CONCRETE GOALS to include in the survey for NatGat 2013.
It's intended that the categories will roll up and become "the goals", and the details will be targetted milestones under a specific goal. It's envisioned that each will be prioritized as short, medium, and long term objectives.
We've moved some items to:
− [Common Items] Items to be consolidated into "The Commons".
− Brainstorm Bank Raw ideas that need flushing out
- 1 I. Enviro
- 2 II. Economy
- 3 III. Freedom of Information
- 4 III. NO WAR: PEACE AND SECURITY
- 5 V. Summer of Change/Electoral Sea Change
- 6 OLD STUFF LEFT OVER FROM OUR ORIGINAL CUT AT THE LIST
- 7 IDEALS and IDEAS and PRINCPLES
- Establish a strong "commons"/local rights-based ordinances, so communities can say no to polluters
- Use rooftops for renewable energy (gardens, wind turbines, solar)
* Recognize and remediate environmental racism--predominance of incinerators in black-brown neighborhoods *
- Mandate a certain percentage of public commons (land) to be farm, park, or nature conservation areas.
- Establish public magnet schools that are horticultural academies that also care for public land & grow food
- Local food production, community gardens, permaculture agriculture - worker self directed organic agriculture coops on the model of Mondragon in Spain *
- Offer tax credits to farms that give away food
- Lease commons (locally owned/controlled land) to local organic growers
- Institute development policies that favor REAL affordable housing tied to lowest wage earners (not "average" income) *
What: Our food supply is made up of natural organic food. It is a food supply which follows humane practices. All people have regular access to nourishing food from all the food groups. This food is free from GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms), from pesticides, from herbicides and any other non-organic chemicals.
- Tax credits to food providers that offer food for free (pay-what-you-can cafes, etc)
- Replace the food stamp/agribusiness grand bargain with a basic income guarantee http://www.usbig.net/index.php
- Require foodstamp agencies to provide foodstamp payment mechanisms to farmers markets
- Before being allowed on the market it is required that all products including food additives, packaging, cosmetics, and cleaning supplies be tested to show they are safe by multiple independent non-governmental agencies and governmental agencies and academic institutions whose data will be examined and re-tested till there can be an agreed upon scientific consensus of whether or not to allow these products to the market.
- Free school lunches - no junk food in schools
- No for-profit packaged food in schools
C. ESTABLISH A "STRONG COMMONS"
by Restoring Inalienable Rights to Individuals/Environment
- Amend the constitution to declare the right to basic healthcare, basic income, basic shelter healthy food, clean air/water
- Amend the constitution to end the corporatocracy and restore inalienable natural rights to individuals and the environment
- Give control of commons to small municipalities End Corporatocracy: Time Frames & Actions
what: An economic system where corporation are not granted personhood rights and where corporations are held legally accountable for their actions. This economic system promotes fair trade and fair working conditions. This economic system is one where the many benefit and not just a small few. Banks and corporations are required by law to act responsibly. We support the workers right to organize and form labor unions End Corporatocracy: Time Frames & Actions
A. SHIFT TAX BURDEN
what: A tax system that creates the basis for an homeostatic economy; one that discourages waste and fraud, rewards frugality and environmentalism. This tax system will tax activities that are harmful to life systems at a higher rate.
- Zero-Sum Budget the Tax Code [See Discussion]
- Flat Tax (no deductions)
- Tax companies that are not "zero-waste" and those who do not adhere to "Extended Producer Responsibility" standards
- Tax "resource use" NOT income
- Tax on revenues/expenses, not on profit. too easy to cheat - minimal income: everyone gets a check
- Zero-Sum Budget the Title 26 as recommended by the US Tax Payer Advocate (Tina E. Olson); start with no exemptions or credits and democratically decide (on line or w/town meetings) which credits to include or exclude. Use "just the brackets" during a five year planning process and then implement during an additional two year implementation period.
- Tie the tax brackets to the rental cost of a square foot of land by county, the lower the rents, the lower the taxes.
- Carbon Tax.
- Popular vote on each provision of the Title 26.
- Give economic/tax incentives to locale producers
B. MONETARY/BANKING REFORM
- Reinstitution of Dodd-Frank (get it done! been in committee controlled by derivatives industry forever!)
- End the Fed (put the soverienty control back in the hands of the people)
- Create state-owned banks for each of the states where public funds are invested, like the Bank of North Dakota.
- Reinstitution of the Glass-Stegall Act
- Abolish corporate personhood End Corporatocracy: Time Frames & Actions
- Replace the current federal low income housing program with one that sells small net zero rental properties to inner city low income owners who agree to occupy them. No middlers, direct sales from government to citizens, with the fed having right of first refusal.
- Thirty hour work week for all government employees.
- Reinstitution of the Bretton woods system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bretton_Woods_system)
- Basic Income Guarantee: http://www.usbig.net/index.php
III. Freedom of Information
A. free and open communications
- All airwaves publicly owned
- End to intellectual property, such that there is free and open sharing of information so people aren't threatened into hoarding IP
- Extend public education through college
- Certain amount of the airwaves is public every day, primetime
- Certain amount of airwaves is devoted to publicly funded elections
- Extend Open Meeting Law to include private personal conversations between government personnel AND other government personnel and the public, so that they are documented, and there is a trail of influence that is accountable to the public.
B. universal access to data
- Keep requirement for universal access on telephone companies, to make sure low income and remote people can get access.
What: Truth in journalism/ We support independent media
How: Public funds are awarded to independent news agencies for accuracy and fairness in broadcasting
III. NO WAR: PEACE AND SECURITY
A. What: Peace, nonviolence
- We support our troops
- We support bringing our troops home
- We support ending imperialism
- We support, as the first step toward a greater reduction in defense spending, an expeditious return to the defense spending from 1998. (The 1998 level of defense spending is a 45% reduction in defense)
- Require people who are found guilty of domestic violence to volunteer in community service
- We support ending private prisons
B. Free Universal Healthcare
- Nationalize the US healthcare system
- Amend the constitution to declare basic (not nose jobs, for example) healthcare a right
- Deploy national healthcare system
- End fee for service & require that clinicians be salaried.
- Health as a major topic in public education system and in state sponsored adult education programs
- Make gyms/health clubs part of the healthcare system
- Drug treatment
V. Summer of Change/Electoral Sea Change
A. Goal: Get Money Our of Politics
- Amend the constitution to abolish corporate personhood & declare that money is not speech End Corporatocracy: Time Frames & Actions
- Limit campaign donations to $50 per person and only in-district donations
- Full public financing of all elections
- Absolute ban on gifts to elected officials and their families
- End two-party system by opening debates up to all candidates on the ballot
- Proportional representation, instant run off voting (popular vote decides President)
- Abolish the electoral college
B. Goal:local community control
- Declare local rights-based ordinances (you can organize this today, in your town)
C. Goal: consensus based democracy
What: A democratic process that works for all, minorities have power and voice (rule by diversity).
- Free/equal prime time airtime w/major broadcast stations, as a permit condition , for all candidates on the ballot
- Crowd source public policy decisions
- Give the public a percentage of the votes on any decision, via the internet.
- Voting days are holidays
- All public financials downloadable in Excel format
- We support the practice of using paper ballots throughout all elections with receipts
E. Legal System, just and fair
- Make rehabilitation, not punishment, the goal of the penal system
OLD STUFF LEFT OVER FROM OUR ORIGINAL CUT AT THE LIST
ELECTORAL & CAMPAIGN REFORM
- Publically funded elections
- Free Press / Media for Candidates Free/equal prime time airtime w/major broadcast stations, as a permit condition , for all candidates on the ballot
- Proportional Representation & Instant Run Off Voting
- Abolish the electoral college (popular vote for President wins)
- Dodd-Frank (get it done! been in committee controlled by derivatives industry forever!)
- End the Fed (put the soverienty control back in the hands of the people)
I've bolded items that address racial inequality--maybe in the final version there could be a sort function that allows folks to see this category, and others, separately? (TF: yes, support)
Not sure where this goes:
- Give racial minorities first use rights to wide ranging commons that encompass air, open land, housing and water
IDEALS and IDEAS and PRINCPLES
That may not be concrete goals for the "roadmap", but may be treated as principles, or very long term ideals that we can strive for.
- Global Peace
We can do ACTIONS NEXT. Let's keep this list to GOALS? Refer to President Franklin Delano Roosvelt's 1944 State of the Union Address wherein he advocated a second U.S. Bill of Rights, a U.S. Economic Bill of Rights. Search FDR 1944 State of the Union.