Please direct all inquiries and requests for interviews to firstname.lastname@example.org
Here's the link to the [Occupy Boston press kit]
To Get Media Support for your Working Group
To get media support for your Working Group, please use [the media coverage request form]
To put your Working Group event on the calendar, please use [the calendar submission form]
For suggestions and resources for doing your own media work.
Occupy Boston's Media Working Group Mission Statement
OCCUPY BOSTON MEDIA WORKING GROUP MISSION STATEMENT
The Occupy Boston Media Working Group works to document and publicize the occupy movement with the intention of fostering growth therein. The Occupy Boston Media Working Group operates in several spheres: Blog, Social Media, and Website; External Press; Photo, Video and Livestream; Independent Journalism; and Calendar.
Our mission statement in each of these spheres is as follows:
- (I) BLOG, SOCIAL MEDIA, AND WEBSITE*
(A) To maintain the OccupyBoston.org blog as well as the official Occupy Boston social media channels (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc) and facilitate, with other working groups, all sections of the website.
(B) To create content for the above channels promoting the activities of Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(C) To use the above channels to collect and disseminate media coverage -- both mainstream and independent -- of Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(D) To facilitate the use of the above channels by other Occupy Boston working groups, caucuses, and related affinity groups.
- (II) EXTERNAL PRESS*
(A) To serve as the default liaison between Occupy Boston and the external press.
(B) To issue official press releases on the behalf of Occupy Boston.
(C) To facilitate the production of official press releases by other Occupy Boston working groups, caucuses, and related affinity groups.
(D) To create major media campaigns to influence and/or impact the mainstream media's coverage of issues relevant to Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(E) To provide media trainings to members of Occupy Boston to prepare them for interactions with the external press.
- (III) PHOTO, VIDEO, AND LIVESTREAM*
(A) To visually document events and actions within Occupy Boston.
(B) To facilitate such documentation by other members of Occupy Boston and provide related training.
(C) To provide a central clearing house for visual media relevant to Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
- (IV) INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM*
(A) To create works of journalism that raise awareness about issues relevant to Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(B) To facilitate the creation of such works by other members of Occupy Boston.
(C) To facilitate the dissemination of such works either through our own channels or through external channels.
- (V) CALENDAR*
(A) To facilitate the maintenance of the Occupy Boston calendar by other Occupy Boston working groups, caucuses, and related affinity groups.
Occupy Boston's Media Channels
- Web Site and Blog
- Twitter Occupy Boston Main Twitter Account
- New Occupy Boston Media twitter account
- List of OB Working groups Twitter accounts
- The Boston Occupier Newspaper
- Flickr Occupy Boston Media Photo Sharing Group
- Flickr Photos from Occupy Boston
- Live Stream (used mostly for GA's and other events at the GA stage in Dewey Square)
- UStream (mobile live casting for Occupy Boston event's around Boston)
- Occupy Boston TV- Cable Access TV Show
- Occupy Boston Radio
- Occupy News Network 24HR streaming video news on behalf of OB for benefit of all occupies and 99%! (soon)
- Occupy Boston YouTube
- Occupy Boston Music
- Free School University Lecture
Working Group Meeting Agendas & Minutes
Minutes from past WG Meetings:
- Nov. 2
- Nov. 15 - Emergency GA breakout group
- Nov. 23
- Dec. 14
- Dec. 21
- Dec. 29
- Jan. 4
- Jan. 11
- Jan. 25
- Feb. 2
- Feb. 8
- Feb. 15
- Feb. 22
- Feb. 29
- Mar. 07
- Mar. 10 Strategy
- Mar. 14
- Mar. 21
@obupdates text group
Text "obupdates" to 23559 to receive occasional Occupy Boston updates via SMS. No additional charge. Standard texting rates apply.
If you would like to send a mass text to the @obupdates group, fill out the following form: http://www.occupyboston.org/text/
An advisory group is responsible for receiving, vetting, and sending all mass texts to the @obupdates cell. If you would like to join this advisory group, please email eli [at] occupyboston [dot] org.
The following individual(s) are the current administrators of the cell: Eli, more TBD
- Notes on Storytelling by Marshall Ganz
- What is Public Narrative? by Marshall Ganz
- Which comes first, the frame or the audience? by Katherine McFate of the Ford Foundation (PDF)
- The Op-ed Writer’s 12-Step Program by John Nichols of The Capital Times
- OPed argument tips
- Writing Successful Op-eds: The Fundamentals by The Progressive Media Project
- Six Types of Op-eds by the Progressive Media Project
- Minute Message Model by Mission Minded (PDF)
- Strategic Clarity Workbook (PDF)
- The Strategic Communications Model (PDF)
- Press outreach training docs (i.e. how to pitch, write a press release, media advisory, ect.) (PDF)
- Telling American Stories (PDF)
- 15 Tips for Effective Communications Planning and 13 Components of a Communications Plan by Philanthropy411
- Important Media Links (Google Doc)
- 'Like' Occupy Together's (Global) Facebook
- Wikipedia Entry on Occupy Boston with Citations
- We Are the 99% (Tumblr)
- Twitter List of all Occupy accounts across the nation.
- OccupyTV (Collection of Videos from Occupy Sites around the Nation)
- The Occupy Wall Street Collaborative Film
- Occupy Wall Street Live Stream
- 99 Percent: Occupy Wall Street Youtube Channel
- Fight Back News
- Open Media Boston
- Press Release Ideas
- Media Action List