OB Media Working Group Meeting 2/1/2012
Read through draft mission statement – discussion of amendments to each section
Made amendments – final passed 2/1/2012 Media Working Group Mission Statement – accepted as below
OCCUPY BOSTON MEDIA WORKING GROUP MISSION STATEMENT
The Occupy Boston Media Working Group works to document and publicize the occupy movement with the intention of fostering growth therein. The Occupy Boston Media Working Group operates in several spheres: Blog, Social Media, and Website; External Press; Photo, Video and Livestream; Independent Journalism; and Calendar.
Our mission statement in each of these spheres is as follows:
(I) BLOG, SOCIAL MEDIA, AND WEBSITE
(A) To maintain the OccupyBoston.org blog as well as the official Occupy Boston social media channels (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc) and facilitate, with other working groups, all sections of the website.
(B) To create content for the above channels promoting the activities of Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(C) To use the above channels to collect and disseminate media coverage -- both mainstream and independent -- of Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(D) To facilitate the use of the above channels by other Occupy Boston working groups, caucuses, and related affinity groups.
- (II) EXTERNAL PRESS*
(A) To serve as the default liaison between Occupy Boston and the external press.
(B) To issue official press releases on the behalf of Occupy Boston.
(C) To facilitate the production of official press releases by other Occupy Boston working groups, caucuses, and related affinity groups.
(D) To create major media campaigns to influence and/or impact the mainstream media's coverage of issues relevant to Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(E) To provide media trainings to members of Occupy Boston to prepare them for interactions with the external press.
- (III) PHOTO, VIDEO, AND LIVESTREAM*
(A) To visually document events and actions within Occupy Boston.
(B) To facilitate such documentation by other members of Occupy Boston and provide related training.
(C) To provide a central clearing house for visual media relevant to Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
- (IV) INDEPENDENT JOURNALISM*
(A) To create works of journalism that raise awareness about issues relevant to Occupy Boston, the Occupy Movement, and the larger economic justice movement.
(B) To facilitate the creation of such works by other members of Occupy Boston.
(C) To facilitate the dissemination of such works either through our own channels or through external channels.
- (V) CALENDAR*
(A) To facilitate the maintenance of the Occupy Boston calendar by other Occupy Boston working groups, caucuses, and related affinity groups.
• Discussion regarding of implementation of guidelines versus mission statement o This item will be rolled over to next week’s meeting
• Suggested combining Eli’s need media form with the press release/blog request form o Farhad updated the super form http://www.occupyboston.org/draft-superform/ o Discussion of where Omni /Superform will be sent to - currently to ob-media-external o Rolled over discussion of guidelines for Omni /Superform and how to promote it • Items to be written/covered o Health Justice Rally – blog post Gunner write Josh G. copy edit * the event coordinators did not get back to us in timely manner with accurate info, so no blog post was written o No War on Iran March – Deb S. B to take photos and write post event blog piece, David L. to do video piece
• Procedure for post event blog pieces: o Determine which events may need post event coverage – this will be case by case, but big events such as marches, etc… high visibility events will get this o To be posted in 24-48 hours after the event – anything post 48 hours is too “stale” to be posted o Post –event pieces will follow same procedures as other written pieces: writer and copy editor then can be posted. o Assignments for post event pieces will be determined at weekly Media WG meetings unless spontaneous action, then request will be sent to media working group list for people to take point on writing and/or photo essays and plus one copy editor. o All video pieces must be uploaded to Occupy Boston You Tube channel in order to be posted as Occupy Boston post event piece. • Announcements Day of action 3/17 more info to come Discussion media, OBIT, and interoccupy about web redesign – mtg this Sun 7p at E5
o Discussion of of moving weekly media working group meeting o Josh E. did a doodle to determine days that worked for most people o Top days Weds 7-9p and Sat 3-5 or 2-4p runner up was Thurs 5-7p o Decision – keep Weds 7-9p add Sat 2:30-4:30 p as multi-media, social media, live stream, and/or media working group training times o 2/4 and 2/11 will be at E5 o Josh E will book BPL for the following weeks through Feb and March
Next meeting 2/8 Facilitator – Farhad Note taker – Deb Butler Agenda maker – Deb S.B. (amberpaw)