Difference between revisions of "WG/OBIT/Minutes/120226"

From wiki.occupyboston.org
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
== Wiki Spam ==
 +
* Steven has been working on taking care of the spam.
 +
* Kizmut made some templates for spam pages.
 +
* Brandon disabled the MediaWiki Write API but that hasn't done anything.
 +
 
== Community Gathering ==
 
== Community Gathering ==
 +
* It's been moved up a week.
 +
* We had previously decided that we should start planning that today.
 +
* Ideas:
 +
** A Showcase which clarifies the difference between the free software movement and "shareware" or "free as in beer".
 +
*** Dana can put together a presentation on LibreOffice / Free Software & hand out USB copies.
 +
** "Sometimes it's better software but that's not the point."
 +
** Perhaps start the conversation with an analogy to Bank of America
 +
** We'll have to arrange food.
 +
*** Brandon will do some research on food.
 +
*** Middle East gives those platters for 1/5 off.
 +
** Should we also use this time for training?
 +
** Can we invite the FSF to come?  Possibly speak?
 +
*** Dana can talk to some friends to the FSF
 +
** Perhaps a music performance created using free software?
 +
** Can we do a security culture demonstration?
 +
*** Live packsniffing / wireshark
 +
*** Third party cookies, etc.
 +
*** Steven can work on the live demo.
 +
** We can bring USB sticks with free software (LibreOffice) with Mac & Linux versions.
 +
 +
* Equipment:
 +
** Projector / Screen
 +
*** Dana can bring these but he doesn't have a car to move them.
 +
*** Maybe the church has a screen?
 +
** Two laptops
 +
** Internet
 +
*** Is there internet at St. Paul's?
 +
*** If there's not any there, we need to bring some.
 +
**** Would Media be willing to let us use a hotspot for the evening?
 +
**** Brandon will look into this.
 +
** Food
  
 
== Open House Description ==
 
== Open House Description ==
 +
* We are the technology activists who provide the IT backbone of Occupy Boston.
  
 
== Research Wiki ==
 
== Research Wiki ==
 +
* Should Ravi's project have to go before GA for approval, because it's not OB specific.
 +
* Because it shouldn't impact OB services, it probably doesn't have to go before GA.  Ravi should announce this at GA though.
 +
 +
== Occupy MBTA ==
 +
* They've started a Wordpress account to blog.  Should we be helping them with this?
 +
* Should we install a multi-site instance of wordpress?
 +
** Let's incorporate those features into Groups v2.
  
 
== Groups v2 ==
 
== Groups v2 ==
 +
* phpbb & vanilla integration into drupal don't seem to be as miraculous as we'd hoped.
 +
* Perhaps we should look into drupal forums again.
 +
** Let's examine the Advanced Forums module in drupal
  
 
== Wireless Access Points ==
 
== Wireless Access Points ==
 
+
* We got a donation of 5 WAPs.
== RES ==
 
  
 
== Ticket #52 Meeting ==
 
== Ticket #52 Meeting ==
 
+
* Dana can't do anything this week, but next week is OK.
== Tickets ==
+
* Sunday before OBIT?
 +
* Wednesday during OBIT?

Revision as of 20:23, 26 February 2012

Wiki Spam

  • Steven has been working on taking care of the spam.
  • Kizmut made some templates for spam pages.
  • Brandon disabled the MediaWiki Write API but that hasn't done anything.

Community Gathering

  • It's been moved up a week.
  • We had previously decided that we should start planning that today.
  • Ideas:
    • A Showcase which clarifies the difference between the free software movement and "shareware" or "free as in beer".
      • Dana can put together a presentation on LibreOffice / Free Software & hand out USB copies.
    • "Sometimes it's better software but that's not the point."
    • Perhaps start the conversation with an analogy to Bank of America
    • We'll have to arrange food.
      • Brandon will do some research on food.
      • Middle East gives those platters for 1/5 off.
    • Should we also use this time for training?
    • Can we invite the FSF to come? Possibly speak?
      • Dana can talk to some friends to the FSF
    • Perhaps a music performance created using free software?
    • Can we do a security culture demonstration?
      • Live packsniffing / wireshark
      • Third party cookies, etc.
      • Steven can work on the live demo.
    • We can bring USB sticks with free software (LibreOffice) with Mac & Linux versions.
  • Equipment:
    • Projector / Screen
      • Dana can bring these but he doesn't have a car to move them.
      • Maybe the church has a screen?
    • Two laptops
    • Internet
      • Is there internet at St. Paul's?
      • If there's not any there, we need to bring some.
        • Would Media be willing to let us use a hotspot for the evening?
        • Brandon will look into this.
    • Food

Open House Description

  • We are the technology activists who provide the IT backbone of Occupy Boston.

Research Wiki

  • Should Ravi's project have to go before GA for approval, because it's not OB specific.
  • Because it shouldn't impact OB services, it probably doesn't have to go before GA. Ravi should announce this at GA though.

Occupy MBTA

  • They've started a Wordpress account to blog. Should we be helping them with this?
  • Should we install a multi-site instance of wordpress?
    • Let's incorporate those features into Groups v2.

Groups v2

  • phpbb & vanilla integration into drupal don't seem to be as miraculous as we'd hoped.
  • Perhaps we should look into drupal forums again.
    • Let's examine the Advanced Forums module in drupal

Wireless Access Points

  • We got a donation of 5 WAPs.

Ticket #52 Meeting

  • Dana can't do anything this week, but next week is OK.
  • Sunday before OBIT?
  • Wednesday during OBIT?