Statement of Purpose, Passed on Oct 23rd
DO NOT EDIT THIS PART...IT'S ALREADY APPROVED. SEE BELOW FOR EDIT-ABLE DOCS.
"We the people who have occupied Dewey Square, under the name Occupy Boston, have done so in order to maintain a place, where all voices are welcome for the open discussion of ideas, grievances, and potential solutions to the problems apparent in our society. We are and will be holding general assemblies where proposals may be brought to the group as a whole, to be consented to. We have and will continue to occupy this space for the purpose of DEMOCRACY."
BELOW THE +++ IS OK TO EDIT
(DRAFT...OK to Edit) PROPOSED: OWS-Boston: Statement of Occupation
Today the United States is confronted by a toxic mix of financial, social, and environmental catastrophes that demand a thorough and immediate clean-up. The common root of these disasters is the domination of our social, economic, and political lives by the interests of the 1%. The actions of the 1% threaten our lives, the lives of all the Earth’s creatures, our livelihoods, our liberty, our shared humanity, and our common future.
We, the General Assembly of Occupy Boston have abandoned electoral politics in an effort of direct democracy.
The corrupt order amidst which we live demands a profound and collective response. Occupy Boston is such a response.
- Because, the problems of economic inequality, unemployment, and crushing debt, are all symptomatic of the larger corrupting influence money has had on our political and social lives,
- Because, this influence has impeded progress toward a more just and sustainable society, has perpetuated crisis at home and war abroad and perverts democratic action,
- Because, the pursuit of the 1% has had an even more devastating effect on the more vulnerable and less empowered members of our community as well as on the ecosystems upon which our species depends,
- Because, the 1% also own or control, directly or indirectly, the media and legal apparatus: We have retaken the commons and resurrected direct democracy.
Be it resolved that we, the General Assembly of Occupy Boston, acting in solidarity with occupations across America and with peoples' movements worldwide, do hereby declare our opposition to all systems of power that function to maintain oppressive and undemocratic systems. We declare that a better world is possible, and that it is our right and responsibility to begin creating it.
questionable if this last part should be included
Possible Thoughts for the Future
[[the "give birth" is a bit much, unless we say "more just", but I do like the "tread lightly" part. I can see how it would be harder to pass anything below here, and would be happy to let it go for now; Terra] Let's me creative and definitive-author.
Our mission is to give birth to a just and compassionate body politic that will tread lightly upon the Earth.
Our mission will be accomplished when these goals are met:
1. The US has a sustainable peace time economy.
2. The voices of the 99% are heard and acted upon. 3. All the Earth’s ecosystems are healthy. 4. In allocating resources, the US government priorities the needs of the environment and the 99% who are not wealthy.
The SPP Working Group asks the GA and all concerned persons to put forth objectives,methods, strategies and tactics which will accomplish goals 1-4.