Food (Dewey Square)
This page describes the food operation at Dewey Square -- Post-Dewey Food Support can be found here: Food - Post Dewey
The Food Working Group runs the Food Tent at Occupy Boston. We are the primary source for collecting, preparing, and serving food and drink to the protestors and guests at Occupy Boston. We serve free food and drink every day and can take-away groceries as our capacity allows. We usually close the tent down in the late hours of the night (around midnight or 1am) until the early morning, but drinks are available 24/7.
Want to join or volunteer with the Food Working Group?
The Food Working Group is open to all.
Help is needed both offsite and at the Food Tent itself. One of the best things you can do, is cook meals on your own and bring them to Occupy Boston's food tent.
If you'd like to help at the Food Tent, come stop by the Food Tent, introduce yourself, and ask to speak with a Food Tent volunteer who understands our ways of doing things there. They'll give you a quick training on our procedures (greeting donors, wearing gloves, serving guests ourselves, asking guests to use hand sanitizer, how much food to offer people, our washing system, tent organization of supplies, etc) and they you can start helping right away.
The food tent constantly needs volunteers to do the following:
- serve food.
- wash dishes.
- organize our supplies.
- keep the general food tent area clean.
Volunteering at the Food Tent is a great way to meet people at Occupy Boston. Just about EVERYONE stops by the food tent for a bite to eat or something to drink!
Help offsite is also needed:
- using your car/truck/bikecart to transport food across town.
- soliciting food donations.
- cooking meals offsite and bringing them to the Occupation.
Please email us at email@example.com if you are interested in doing offsite work such as this or have any ideas of your own.
Food Working Group Meetings
The Food Working Group meets Mondays from 6pm-7pm at the Food Tent. We may move locations after meeting in the tent if not having enough space is an issue. If you show up late and don't see us, ask someone in the Food Tent where we went.
Want to Donate? - Our Needs...
Last updated 11/29/11
Please bring all donations to the Food Tent at Dewey Square.
Please list the ingredients in dishes when possible and avoid common allergens (eggs, nuts, dairy, wheat etc.)!
What we need the most:
- Disposable plates and cups
- Milk Crates
- Prepared, ready-to-eat foods (hot meals, sandwiches, snacks, fruit, baked goods).
- Produce (vegetables that we can cook offsite for the Occupation, or use to make cold dishes onsite)
- Fruit (apples, bananas, oranges)
- Drinks (Bottled Water, Hot Coffee, Coffee Grounds, Juice, Dairy and Non-Dairy Milk)
- Dried Goods (Dried Rice and Beans)
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Canned Tuna Fish
- Canned Beans
- Latex or Vinyl Gloves for Safe Handling of Food
- Napkins, toilet paper, paper towels, and forks
- Pastries and Cookies
Email us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
We can answer any questions you have about donating food, volunteering, interviews regarding Food at Occupy Boston, advice for other Occupations, etc.