WG/Media/Minutes/120215

From wiki.occupyboston.org
Jump to: navigation, search

2/15 MEDIA WORKING GROUPS MEETING

Attendance: Matt, Deborah, Brett, Gunner, JohnM, David, Eli F, David, Bob, Josh G, Dan C, Randy, Joshua, Rachel, Liam

OBMEDIA EMAIL ISSUES

Old email was occupybostonmedia at gmail.com address. It's a security risk - many people have had access to this account. This account controls admin on various of our external outlets.

Now moving to ob-media at occupyboston.org/media at occupyboston.org.

All emails have been moved from gmail to ob.org account.

Set up Gmail account to automatically forward to media at OB.org

Who gets access? Eli proposes to have 2 additional people given access to the new media account over the next week, then to come in with new proposed guidelines at next week's Media meeting.

Proposed - a contact form that will help to channel incoming messages either to media s press contacts, or to info/inreach/whoever as other types of contacts.

Media should not be the go-to catchall for all incoming queries, including those unrelated to media, as was the case at Dewey.

Anybody who gets access should log their accessing this account. Eli will keep track of who has access for the time being until we have new guidelines.

HOW DO WE DEAL WITH PRIVATE COMMUNICATION WITH THE PRESS

We need a 'system' to coordinate and think strategically about who deals with different media people.

Gunner had a system set up to coordinate volunteer spokespeople, then went a way for awhile - chaos has since broken out.

We need media spokes people who are likely to stay involved with Occupy.

Proposed: we should have a small task force to figure out how we're going to create this.

There are people who are no longer involved with Occupy who are still speaking with the media on behalf of Occupy because they established relationships previously with them when they were involved.

People formerly involved who are being contacted by the press should be contacted to send those media queries back to us if they are no longer involved with Occupy. Also/alternatively, we should ask those people to come back to Occupy.

Deborah Butler volunteers to go through all previous media stories about Occupy and pull out the reporter info, the character of the report (positive, negative, factual), etc, etc.

Dan Cheeno says he knows how to change access to the OB Youtube acct. from the gmail acct to a new acct.

CELL ADMINS

People have been nominated to be celly admins, who can send texts on obmediaupdates.

The two present at meeting are approved along with others to make up this team:

Dan Cheeno

Eli

Ariel

Matthew

Rene

(Rachel is backup if Ariel can't do it)

Requirements

Must be on email list

Must be on Ob admins listserv group

Proposed - The celly admins should serve for 3 months and then we can renominate to cycle in new people.

Renominate new celly each 3 months

Next renomination of celly admins will be on or about May 15th.

GREENWAY FUND PROPOSAl

An agreement was made between the Greenway and Occupy that Occupy would be involved in the rehab/replanting of Dewey. On this basis we fundraised to contribute money to the rehabilitation of Dewey. The agreement was ignored by the Greenway in that they did not coordinate with us the recovery plantings and other actions.

Proposed - We need to go back and fact-find about this agreement.

Proposed - We should go back to the donors and ask them if they would like to repurpose their donations to other projects in light of the Greenway's reneging on the agreement, also in light of the Greenway's recent profligate money problems.

Greenway managers quoted us at various times in discussion while at Dewey a pricetag of $12,000, $18,000 and $25,000 to rehabilitate Dewey. After we were evicted, they spent $60,000. Greenway may have used our presence as an excuse to engage in more profligate spending.

Sustainability working group - May have other worthy projects they have been thinking about/working on to suggest to donors.

Recommended - Media people should be part of a coalition that writes this proposal so that we are intimate with it if there are media queries about it.

Rachel, Joshua and Randy will pull together timeline info. Joshua will contact Rachel and Randy.

Most donations came in in $25 to $50 amounts. We do have all donor contact info in our We Pay account.

WHAT WE NEED TO WRITE

Press release on a POC action for Monday. Matt to write

Josh G will write anoher short post on another topic.

DAN CHEENO - SPOKES COUNCIL QUESTIONS

First spokes council was scheduled for Sunday, but then was moved to Monday. For this meeting only, Farhad would be our spoke, Eli would be backup, and Dan would be there as backup backup. Only Dan attended.

The only people there from media were Dan, and Martin (Robin was there, but as a spoke from another group).

Social media 101 training asked for - we can provide

-how we feel about the use of twitter at SC meetings

Voted and approved: We support Twitter use at meeting

Voted and approved: We support our 'spoke' being electronically accessible while at the meeting.

-how we appoint a spoke

???

Dan will be backup spoke. Still must figure out primary spoke.

-to figure out if we, as a WG, need a minimum number of people present at the SC in order for our spoke to represent us

(not discussed)

-how we, as a WG, recall a spoke if we don't feel they are representing us at the SC

(not discussed)

SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATE

5 people attended

Gunner sent out notes on listserv (refer there for update)

MEDIA WORKING GROUP PROTOCOL REQUEST

Request for the agenda to go out in the morning on the day of the meeting - Wednesday morning.

E-blast newsletter for Valentine's Day postmortem

Gunner worked with Lydia and Greg.

OBIT person or persons was accusatory about software used.

Newsletter prompted an accusatory email from somebody in OBIT about use of open-source vs this free-but-proprietary software. We'd like to invite some OBIT people to come to our next meeting to discuss communication about these instances, especially where OBIT-aligned activists are condemning us after-the-fact for having a 'political' agenda for using free-but-proprietary software while not having provided an open-course alternative to get the work done.

Johnm will contact OBIT about meeting invite.

WORK ON WEBSITE NEEDED

Liam, Dan, Brett, Joshua will form a sub-group to work on this

ROLLOVER TO NEXT WEEK

FAWG and media working together around a monthly post on finances (Gunner)

Superform drafting guidelines (Dan)

Proposal - Media lab (Gunner)

Volunteers (John)

Attaching video - blogpost (Matt)