This page hosts concrete proposals made by members of the Occupy Boston movement.
[Note to contributors: Both the issues addressed and the solutions proposed must possess utmost clarity, because a proposal may be presented to the GA by a common representative, and not by the author of the proposal. Determining the existence and definitions of an issue is a very difficult first step, so please take your time in writing your proposal(s).]
You may be alternatively seeking the Strategies, Proposals, Positions working group, who is dedicated to the reform of global societal functions.
For more broad perspectives, check out Optimistic Visions
In order to keep a functional log of suggestions, we must follow a basic structure.
- Please keep all notes dated (mm/dd/yy) for posterity. Place the date tag at the beginning of each note to denote its head.
- Use 'Edit' to add a proposal at the bottom of the list.
- Each proposal should have a concise description on this page, plus a link to an external page where details are presented and discussed.
- Detail pages should be entitled Prop # - Title for ease of reference.
- When a proposal has been discussed,
- In the event of Denial:
- change the font color of the proposal to red (color code #cc0000), and
- add notes, in dark grey (color code #808080), summarizing the reason(s) for denial.
- In the event of Implementation:**
- change the font color of the proposal to green (color code #00cc00), and
- add notes, in blue (color code #000ff), summarizing how the proposal is being implemented
- In the event of Denial:
- (pre 10/10/11) Develop a Comfort Committee (a la our NYC comrades - one of the first committees; allowed for the rapid expansion of members.) (October 06, 2011) - Responsibilities include receiving, inventorying and distributing bedding, clothing, etc. on an as needed basis. (vital to winter success)
- (pre 10/10/11) Form a fundraising committee.
- (pre 10/10/11) Reach out to mayors in neighboring cities for letters of support (re: Menino's statement)
- (pre 10/10/11) Set up a public workstation in Tent City for Occupiers to update the wiki.
- (pre 10/10/11) The 100%: in positions, plans, strategies, always address the behavior of the 1%, not the personal character. We want the 1% to wake up and realize the horror they are causing, and then join the 99% so humanity can become Whole. (10/11/11) This proposal is vague; it appears to be a statement, not a suggestion. Please revise.
- (pre 10/10/11) Find someone to make an iPhone/iPod APP for Occupy Boston.
- (pre 10/10/11) Move the Wiki link to a more prominent location on occupyboston.com(October 06, 2011) Rapidly increase connections to people in the working groups in tent city. We need to get minutes of meetings, tell people they can update announcements, etc. (October 6, 2011) (pre 10/10/11) Implemented
- (10/10/11) Create a "Town Crier" system for communicating at the camp.
- (10/10/11) Devote the morning GA to maintenance/housekeeping issues and reserve the PM GA for messages, actions, allies, and the like.
- (10/12/10) The nature of the Movement indicates that we are aiming for Revolution producing a Global Society. We should therefore Create a Global Forumaddressing the implications of Global Society. This will lead to the establishment of Global Working Groups. The parent of those groups - the Global Government itself - must establish a Foundational Agreement of Sovereignty and Solidarity to which Sovereign Entities may Ally.
- (10/13/10) Upgrade our Video Streaming capabilities.
- (10/13/11) Start gathering submissions for the official statement of purposeof Occupy Boston and get them on the wiki.
- (10/14/11) Define Health Care as a right.
- (10/14/11) Define Clean Water as a right.
- (10/??/11) Have a public debate regarding issues and demands at a GA on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Publicize the event. Gather individuals from different points of view to argue the pro's and con's of issues and establish a facilitation process that would enable participants to speak freely and efficiently. List topics to be discussed ahead of time.
- (10/17/11) OWS, OccupyBoston and ALL Movements around the country should have the same STATEMENT OF PURPOSE; I propose that OWS and OB Lead this effort; "The 99% demand an end to business as usual in our working lives and politics as usual in our civic live. We want REAL change. If each movement has its own 'Declaration' it dilutes the message and gives one more reason to the Media to poke fun at this movement.
- (10/18/11) The GA on Monday, 10/24 be devoted entirely to Message, including the "no message Message" option, no decisions, no other topics. City Life/Vita Urbana will be asked to attend to address the issue of inclusivity. [Details](Let me know if I need to ask them. [<--who are you, and how do we contact you?])
- (10/19/11) Establish a new process for creating a statement of demands. [Details](This dovetails with the spirit of proposals #15 & #17 above.)
- (11/23/11) Consider endorsing Occupy Oakland 12/12 West Coast Port Closing Proposal
- (11/23/11) Consider endorsing UC Davis 10/28 Student Strike Proposal
- (12/21/11) Require all proposals to be circulated in advance. Text of draft proposal here.
- (12/21/11) Determine quorum based on average attendance at previous GAs. Text of draft proposal here.