- 1 Visit Dewey Square
- 2 Volunteer
- 3 Join Working Groups
- 4 Donate
- 5 Education
- 6 Follow and Contribute on Social Media
- 7 Direct Action
- 8 Contacts
- 9 Speakers
- 10 Food
- 11 Legal
- 12 Logistics
- 13 Media
- 14 Medical
- 15 Music and Entertainment
- 16 The Boston Occupier
- 17 Occupy Boston Globe
- 18 Outreach
- 19 Volunteering
- 20 Archived aerial view and overlay of Dewey Square site
Visit Dewey Square
- Come to the site! Go to the Welcome Desk or the Info Desk and say, “How can I help?" Come over to Dewey Square (Directions) and drop in to the committee tents, shown on the map of the grassy space south of the Dept. of Transportation building (orange block at the top) The Dewey Square OccupyBoston site is diagonally across from South Station and the intersection of Summer St. and Atlantic Ave. There is also an Outreach committee on the site that is looking for people to help spread the message and make contacts with other organizations.
Events by Day
- There is a Calendar produced by Media working group that shows you the many events that take place every day. (Click the agenda tab, it is much more readable then). This calendar agenda is also on the right side of the http://occupyboston.org main site. Be sure to attend a General Assembly to 'see what democracy looks like' and help to develop a consensus. Currently at 7:00 PM on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday, but check the Calendar to be sure.
- Greeters: This is a fun job if you like meeting new people and don’t mind talking to strangers. Greet newcomers and ask them why they are there. Help them get a sense of the camp and where to find things. And find out if they want to “sign them up”! for fun jobs that they’ll enjoy… like marching, or making posters, outreach, or even developing policy as we move into “how” do we actually get this done part of the demand process.
- Data Entry: onsite, to enter email addresses and other data into computers
- Errand Runners
- – for the campers…the campers ARE the occupation. If we keep them comfortable, they’ll stay longer.
- – for the volunteers at the INFO desk and WELCOME desk. The folks staffing these tables are “stuck” there for hours. And they often need water and other supplies
- Trash/Clean-Up: this is everyone’s job and after camping all night outside, it’s hard to remember to clean up everything. You’ll see many smiling faces if you can pitch in and pitch it out. If you can take a few minutes to walk around and pick up while you’re there, that would be great.
- Poster Makers and Cardboard Cutters: Make posters and/or cut up cardboard. Fun fun fun!
- Supply Sorters: help the LOGISTICS tent sort through boxes and boxes of supplies and organize the supplies.
- Community Watch: Night Hours... walk the site to make sure everything is OK. A constant “awake” presence is required at the site for safety, and to show the public that we’re managing things well.
- Email for Volunteer Coordinators: email@example.com
- ADDITIONAL VOLUNTEER DETAILS
Join Working Groups
Working groups meet at the Occupy Boston site and have a presence on the internet with their own email listserves, pages on this wiki, twitter feeds, facebook pages, and other communication outlets.
- The Donate and Logistics pages on this wiki provide lists of items that are needed. There is also a list generated by OBLogistics on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/OBLogistics
- At camp, check the lists posted by the Logistics Tent. (When you first walk into the Occupy Boston camp in Dewey Square from the South Station side you see on your left the Logistics tent.)
- To donate money, the main occupy Boston website at http://occupyboston.org is the place to go. Currently on the right hand side are lists of various funds that have been set up for donations and links to an easy way to make donations.
- Occupy Boston also has a dontation box, on site, whch is emptied daily and the amount depsoited in an accout at a local credit union.
- You may mail checks to this address:
PO Box 51162
Boston, MA 02205
Please make checks payable to "OccupyBoston FAWG".
Join this wiki - the Help file will show you how. Then you can contribute content and engage in discussions. There are multiple groups of people working on documents and discussing ideas. Be sure to check the discussion tab on an page that interests you. See what other people are saying about that page, contribute your comments.
Interesting pages include:
- Strategies (Strategies, Proposals, Positions) - This Working group is dedicated to discussing societal issues, determining their root causes, and responding with actionable proposals.
- Statement of purpose - gathering submissions for the official statement of purpose (SOP) of Occupy Boston
- Optimistic visions - the primary idea is to generate a store of positive ideas that we can contemplate, share, and work to manifest.
- Tell us your story - a site by the Media working group that connects to voices of Occupy Boston to the Media
- The Outreach working group can help you to poster, or set up an information table in your town. It has a Graphic Design page where Learn how print the stickers to hand out during canvassing and to spread the message! Here is also where you will find ideas on you can work as a blogger or tweeter to build the movement. Outreach Committee meetings are Fridays at 6 p.m. by the Gandhi statue.
- Some Working Groups sometimes meet offsite or are actively collaborating with other groups. For example, the Labor Outreach Committee meets Mondays at 4:30pm at SEIU 615 to accommodate the labor organization members who wish to actively participate in our group process.
- Get involved in an ongoing project. Want to work on a encampment paper. Check out The OCCUPY Boston Globe
Follow and Contribute on Social Media
- Participate in Bank Transfer Day - on or before 5 November 2011
We invite all passionate, informed persons to hold a seminar or teach a class. Please e-mail:
If you are press or wish to contact the Media team please e-mail:
Free School University
If you are an educator and would like to teach, lead a discussion, workshop or speak
Music and Entertainment
If you are a professonal music group or other entertainment (comedians, preference art, etc) interested in booking a performance
The Boston Occupier
Occupy Boston Globe
Signup with your email at http://groups.occupyboston.org/wg/volunteer-info to receive announcements for volunteering. Specific needs of working groups will also be placed here.
You can also email the InfoTent to receive The Daily Digest.